PUPILS HOSPITALISED AFTER EATING ‘SPACE CAKES’
The Gauteng Department of Education has confirmed that several pupils were hospitalised after eating edibles that contained cannabis.
Steve Mabona, the department’s spokesperson, said 11 pupils from Randfontein High School on the West Rand in Johannesburg were rushed to various medical facilities on Thursday after they fell ill during school hours.
Two pupils were discharged while nine were admitted to hospital in a critical condition.
Known as ‘space cakes’, the edibles were bought from another Grade 12 pupil. According to the department, that pupil is now facing suspension as a result of breaking the school’s code of conduct and endangering the lives of his fellow learners.
News24 reports that in a separate incident on Saturday, four Grade 12 pupils from Mamellong Secondary School in Tsakane, Ekurhuleni, were also hospitalised after buying ‘sapce cakes’ on their way to extra classes.
“We are really concerned and dissatisfied at the ongoing consumption of these ‘space cakes’ where learners become sick and are often hospitalised.”
Gauteng Education MEC Pnayaza Lesufi said that the conditions of these learners are being closely monitored to ensure their speedy recovery and safe return to their families.”
The department has urged learners to refrain from purchasing or consuming unknown substances that put their health and lives at risk.
Image credit: Times Live