DROS OFFERS ASSISTANCE AFTER 6-YEAR-OLD ALLEGEDLY RAPED IN ONE OF ITS RESTAURANTSDate: 2018-09-26
After a 6-year-old girl was allegedly raped at one of its restaurants in Silverton, Pretoria on Saturday, the Dros restaurant group has issued a statement confirming the incident.
The statement from the Dros reads, "We have been in contact with the parents of the child to convey our sympathy and offered our assistance in any form that would (or could) reasonably be required in a matter of this nature."
Police spokesperson, Lieutenant Colonel Lungelo Dlamini, has confirmed that a suspect had been arrested and rape case was being investigated.
The man appeared in court on Tuesday and Dlamini told News24, "The incident involves a minor so I can't disclose any information about it."
According to Netwerk24, the first report of the incident surfaced on Facebook, the post reads: "I'm at Dros in Silverton en this man jus raped a six year old in the toilet…police are here, she is bleeding…the guy looks 24…apparently he was scouting her while she was playing in the kids area en waited for her to go to the toilet (sic)."
The Citizen reported on Tuesday that the man allegedly snatched the girl from the women's toilet and took her to the men's toilet where he raped her.
They say that the mother of the girl could not find her and went to look in the bathrooms where she heard noises coming from the toilet but she could not open the door as it was blocked.
According to an eyewitness, “When the door was finally opened, the guy was completely naked and so was the little girl.”
The girl was found bleeding from the groin area.
The witness went on to say that when patrons realised what had happened, they proceeded to assault the suspect until, eventually, the restaurant manager locked him in the toilet for his protection.
Shortly thereafter the police arrived and arrested the suspect.
According to Netwerk24, a witness claimed that "the suspect was taken away in an ambulance" because of the severity of his injuries.
The witness said the little girl was "broken" and shivering from shock with tears streaming down her cheeks.
Dros' head office statement included that, "As this matter is currently under investigation by the South African Police Service (SAPS), and due to [its] sensitive nature, we are not in a position to comment and/or disclose any further information," adding that “we have also been in close communication with the owners, management and staff of the said Dros outlet.”
They have appealed to the media and the general public to "allow the SAPS investigation into this sensitive matter" to be concluded.
The eNCA said in a tweet on Wednesday that the "The 20-year-old man accused of raping a child at the Dros in Silverton on Saturday was found to be in possession of a white powder which is being tested."
On Tuesday, the National Prosecuting Authority's, Phindi Mjonondwane, told Talk Radio 702 that the 20-year-old suspect had been provisionally charged with rape, possession of drugs, assault with intent to do bodily harm and intimidation.
The suspect remains in police custody and will appear in the Pretoria Regional Court on October 2.