GETTING TO THE BOTTOM LINE ABOUT COETZEE
There is a swarm of controversy around Allister Coetzee being the coach of the Springbok rugby team. There is no denying that the springbok's performance has been severely lacking this year and many people have been pointing their fingers at Allister Coetzee. Many South Africans agree on the fact that Coetzee is on his last legs as a coach. Rob Houwing, chief sports writer at News24, has gone so far as to write up 6 reasons as to why Coetzee should not be the Springboks coach any longer:
- His track record statistic is looking bleak and with recent performances, it doesn't look promising. Even if the Springboks won against Italy and Wales, his win percentage would still total to less than 50%
- The team seems to lack a game plan resulting in diminishing value in even watching their matches as well as the plummeting reputation of the team. It seems that there is a lack of direction as to the execution of the attacking portion of the game while the performance of the defense line fluctuates. Possession is simply given away due to the careless kicks that seem to land directly in the hands of the opposition.
- Rassie Erasmus being placed as the Director of Rugby but will only be involved with the team in the New Year, perhaps hinting towards the fact that Coetzee will be pushed out to create a fresh start in the new year?
- The lack of strategy with which Coetzee chooses players for matches, without any forward planning regarding the future matches. He tends to place his more experienced players in the easier fixtures which seems unnecessary as it would be a perfect opportunity to give green players experience. It would allow the stronger players to take a break and prevent injuries but it seems that this is a desperate move to improve his own statistics as a coach.
- The aim of SA rugby to transform sport, with the goal being 50% of the team representing players of color, has been missed by a long shot. Coetzee has chosen a team that has only 26.6% players of color despite the talent being overlooked in players such as Makazole Mapimpi and Cheslin Kolbe.
- The poor performance and controversy surrounding the SA rugby coaching doesn't come at an ideal time with the World Cup coming up in 2019. It sparks fears that the Springboks will be starting on the back foot with the possibility of new coaching methods.
The picture is looking bleak for the Springboks and Coetzee as South Africans wait in anticipation of the changes that the rugby team sorely need.
Article Tags: Newsfeeds24.com Newsfeeds24 News Sport Rugby Coetzee Springboks Coach