In what seems like a horrible case of DeJa’Vu, the Malaysian MotoGP has been cancelled yet again. Just like last season’s race, the Southeast Asian country is missing out on the annual race because of the pandemic.
On Thursday, MotoGP announced that the Malaysian race will be replaced by another race at the Misano circuit in Italy on 24 October.
“The ongoing Covid-19 pandemic and the resulting entry restrictions for Malaysia oblige the cancellation of the event,” MotoGP said in a statement.
The Marco Simoncelli circuit in Misano will play host to two races in September, the San Marino and Rimini Rivera Grand Prix.
News24 reports that the Japanese, Australian and Thai rounds of the championship have already been cancelled due to the pandemic as well as the Finnish Grand Prix which had been scheduled for last month.
The Repsol Honda team tweeted about the team’s disappointment of not being able to race in Malaysia this season.
“A huge shame not to be able to come to Malaysia this season. Stay safe out there everyone and hopefully we can see you in 2022. The feeling on the grid in Malaysia was always incredible with the packed stands,” said the tweet.
Image credit: Be In Sports