Home / News & media website / News / Toddler Swallowed By Hippo


A hippo swallowed a two-year-old boy in Uganda before spitting him out.

The incident happened on 4 December at around 15:00 in the Katwe-Kabatoro district.

Iga Paul was playing at his home in the Rwenjubu cell when the hippo attacked him.

A spokesperson for Uganda Police Force said Paul’s life was saved due to the bravery of a passer by.

“It took the bravery of a once Chrispas Bagonza, who was nearby, to save the victim after he stoned the hippo and scared it, causing it to release the victim from its mouth.”

The toddler sustained injuries on his one hand and was taken to a nearby clinic. He was later transferred to Bwera Hospital in the western part of the country for further treatment.

Paul has since been discharged after making a full recovery. Before being handed back to his parents, he received a rabies vaccine.

In a statement released by the police, the public was warned to still be on the lookout for the hippo as well as any other wild animals as they could be dangerous.

“Although the hippo was scared back into the lake, all residents near animal sanctuaries and habitats should know that wild animals are very dangerous. Instinctually, wild animals see humans as a threat and any interaction can cause them to act strangely or aggressively.”

Image credit: NBC 2 News

Hotel Aquarium In Berlin Explodes
Australian Spinach Caused Hallucinations
Two Injured In Slingshot Ride At London’s Winter Wonderland
Mali Nonuplets Celebrate First Birthday
Dancer tWitch Dies
Freddie Flintoff Injured While Filming Top Gear
Patrice Motsepe Buys Wine Farm
90-Year-Old Woman Finally Gets Degree
Golden Globe Nominees Announced