VIDEO: HARRY KANE HAT-TRICK BREAKS RECORDSDate: 2017-12-26
Harry Kane grabbed his second hat-trick in two games to break the record for the most Premier League goals scored in a calendar year.
In the process, Tottenham thrashed Southampton at Wembley, beating the visitors 5-2.
Kane's 37th league goal of 2017 arrived in the 22 minute as the Spurs and England striker headed home from a Christian Eriksen set-piece, surpassing Alan Shearer's record held since 1995 during his time at Blackburn.
Kane's next two came just before and after half-time, bringing his total for both club and country this year to 56, two more than Barcelona and Argentina striker, Lionel Messi.
Spurs, meanwhile, replace Liverpool in fourth place in the table, with the Reds playing Swansea in Tuesday's late kick-off.
Speaking about his 22-year record being taken, Shearer tweeted: "You've had a magnificent 2017, Harry Kane. You deserve to hold the record of most Premier League goals in a calendar year. Well done and keep up the good work."
This is how Harry Kane did it:
- Kane reached his goal-scoring record in 36 games – six fewer than Shearer in 1995
- The 24-year-old has scored more league goals this season than Bournemouth, West Brom, Swansea, Crystal Palace, Brighton and Huddersfield
- He is the first player in Premier League history to score six hat-tricks in a single calendar year
- Kane has scored eight Premier League hat-tricks, as many as Thierry Henry and Michael Owen – only Alan Shearer (11) and Robbie Fowler (9) have more in the competition.
- Kane has scored 56 goals in 52 appearances in all competitions for Tottenham and England in 2017. He is Europe's top scorer over the past 12 months in the five major countries (England, Spain, Italy, Germany and France)
- The Spurs striker has now scored 96 Premier League goals for the club - one off Teddy Sheringham's record
Spurs now have five wins from their past six matches in all competitions, and Pochettino wants their form to continue into 2018.
"We are ambitious but I am happy that we finished the year in a very good way," he said.
"For next year? We must win – win every game. The mentality is so important for us."