Home / Observatory / Sport / Video: Moses Mabhida Violence: 2 Appear In Court And Komphela Resigns From Chiefs


After the chaos that ensued on Saturday night at the Moses Mabhida stadium, where Kaizer Chiefs lost 2-0 to the Free State Stars during the Nedbank Cup semi-final, the two men who were arrested on charges of public violence and malicious damage to property following a pitch invasion will appear in the Durban Magistrates' Court on Monday.

The pitch was invaded by fans after the final whistle, who proceeded to throw chairs and beat security officials, causing police to use tear gas and stun grenades to disperse the crowd.

On Sunday, after footage showing a security guard being severely beaten by fans, some on social media speculated she may have passed away although police spokesperson, Captain Nqobile Gwala, said, "One security guard has been hospitalised, but I'm not certain about the condition."

Later on, Kyle van Reenen, Crisis Medical spokesperson revealed that the security guard was "seriously injured, but stable", while the stadium management clarified that the guard was actually a man injured in the incident.

Two security guards were taken to Addington Hospital after they were injured in trying to stop the fans.

The sporting community has been critical of the violence on social media. Among others, Sports Minister, Tokozile Xasa, as well as the Premier Soccer League slammed the behaviour of the Kaizer Chiefs fans, calling on Stadium Management South Africa to address the incident.

Stadium Management SA on Sunday registered its "grave concern over the gruesome assault of the security guard. Due process must be followed to get to the bottom of it".

The violence wasn't the only news of the night. Chief's coach, Steve Komphela, resigned with immediate after the humiliating result. Kaizer Chiefs football manager, Bobby Motaung, commended Komphela for the strong foundation he has built at the club to the press after the announcement.

“Whoever in the future that must step in his shoes has got a cake baked and made for them just to eat,” he said.

“We started the journey with Steve (three seasons ago), making sure that he revamped and changes the Kaizer Chiefs team and makes it what it is today.

“Unfortunately we have to be reasonable, the results are not happening, it is football. We still have confidence in Steve’s ability, but unfortunately, we are challenged. We are faced with a serious challenge.

“We had the discussion with the coach – even now, let us do the honourable thing and not allow the situation to go on. A call has been made.

“We had the discussion with the coach. To calm the situation, this decision is with immediate effect: that the coach is stepping down for responsibility sake and for accountability sake.

“Discussions are still going to be held with the chairman (Kaizer Motaung), myself and the coach with the way forward, but for now, the coach is stepping down with immediate effect,” Motaung said.

“Like he says, it is with respect and it is in a calm manner. We have to respect our supporters, we have to respect our fans and respect him as the coach as well.

“He is family, and he is a man with integrity. I think we have to protect him.

“In as much as we employed him, we made sure that we gave him an opportunity to grow.”

Although Komphela’s contract was only set to expire in June, Motaung said, “He is a better man I think than what he was when he came to Chiefs. That was our responsibility.

“Unfortunately, people are looking at results. It hurts because, at the end of the day, it disrupts our plans for the future. The journey of football is about results at a big club like Kaizer Chiefs.

“For me, I want to thank the coach. Discussions are still going to be held. An official announcement and farewell will be done for the coach.

“For now, for the safety of the people and all (we came to an agreement that he must step down),” Motaung concluded.

Racial Abuse On Ryanair Flight
Three Arrested For Attempted Hijacking At Sandown High School
SABC offered SAFA 'disrespectful' R10 million to broadcast Bafana games
SpaceX Falcon 9 Rocket Delivers SAOCOM-1A Earth-Observation Satellite
Facebook Launches Fake-News Checking In South Africa
Calls For Dros Rape Accused To Face Attempted Murder Charge
Indonesian Tsunami Struck After Warning Lifted
Anc | 'this Website Is Down Due To Non-payment To The Service Provider'
Air Niugini plane lands in Micronesia lagoon