A six-year-old boy in Texas has died after playing in water containing a deadly brain-eating amoeba.
ABC News reports that Josiah McIntyre first complained of a headache after playing at a local splash pool and with a water hose. He died days later.
Following tests done on the water, officials have warned residents in the Houston area not to make use of tap water as it could be deadly.
The Daily Mail reports that the amoeba is usually fatal if it enters via the nose, with 90 to 95 percent of people who are infected, dying. The cause of death is a rare and debilitating disease called primary amoebic meningoencephalitis.
Symptoms include seizures, vomiting, and hallucinations – with people dying within a week of contracting the illness, says the United States Centre for Disease Control.
Cases of bottled water are being distributed to local residents.
According to a CBS report, the city of Lake Jackson issued a disaster declaration on Saturday.
"The City of Lake Jackson, County of Brazoria, Texas, is facing significant threats to life, health and property due to contaminated drinking water," the city said in its emergency request to Governor Greg Abbott.
"The impact of this threat is severe. The potential damages include: sickness and death."
The ban not to use water was initially handed out to eight communities in the area but has since been lifted. This follows several tests done to ensure the water is safe. Only Lake Jackson is still affected by the ban.
Watch the ABC News video below for more on the water ban in Lake Jackson after a deadly brain-eating amoeba was found in the water supply and a six-year-old boy died.
Image credits: Daily Mail, CBS and Forbes